Touring in Europe post Brexit
Although unnecessary travel is banned at present looking ahead to the second half of the 2021 hopefully touring in Europe will be available gain - but what changes will there be? This brief summary aims to set out what is known at present about the changed requirements post Brexit.

If any members spot any updates on the travel in Europe requirements for UK citizens, do let the V8 Webmaster know so the information can be added to this note. Email

Scenic Tours
See their website for their updates. More

Posted: 210110

UK residents can apply for a Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) to access emergency medical care in the EU when their current EHIC card runs out.
Under a new agreement with the EU, both cards will offer equivalent healthcare protection when people are on holiday, studying or travelling for business. This includes emergency treatment as well as treatment needed for a pre-existing condition. The new GHIC card is free and can be obtained via the official GHIC website. Fellow member Ralph Hardwick says "I have tried to obtain one as my EHIC has expired but I think the site had crashed because of demand. 210111
GHIC on BBC NEWS website

International Driving Permit (IDP)
An IDP is basically a paper booklet which shows your Driving Licence details in several languages. There are three types of IDP - 1926, 1949 and 1968. The numbers refer to the year that the IDP was first created:
1926 - International Convention relative to Motor Traffic - IDP valid for 1 year.
1949 - Geneva Convention on Road Traffic - IDP valid for 1 year.
1968 - Vienna Convention on Road Traffic - IDP valid for 3 years or until your UK driving license expires, whichever comes first.
For travelling by car in Europe, the 1968 IDP is the latest and most recognised document. A list of countries which require or accept an IDP, and any comments (note the remarks on paper licences for some countries) that may have to be actioned can be found here.

IDPs can only be purchased at a cost of £5.50 by visiting one of 2,500 Post Offices that offer the service. PO Link

Contributor: Steve Bowley 210115

From 1st January 2021 the UK has no longer been a part of the European Union so the following matters will need to be checked and preparations made as necessary before travelling from the UK to Europe.

UK passport
Anyone with a UK passport that expires within six months of their date of travel should get their passport renewed as soon as possible. For those people who have had extra months added to their existing 10 year UK passport, because they renewed their old passport before it expired, may find that these additional months do not count towards the 6 months that should be remaining.

Visa to enter the EU from the UK
UK nationals will only need a visa if they want to stay in the EU more than 90 days in a 180-day period.

UK Driving Licence
Your UK driving licence will still be valid for driving in Europe after 31st December 2020. From 1st January 2021 driving licence rules will remain unchanged, however it is still recommended that you get an International Driving Permit (IDP) to be able to drive in some European countries as a visitor as the UK has left the EU. Currently they cost £5.50 and are valid for a year. You will not need an IDP to drive in Ireland as it has been agreed that your UK driving licence will still be valid on its own while you are driving in Ireland. See update below
See GOV.UK guidance page for full information

Drivers from the EU coming to the UK?
The Department for Transport has agreed that the United Kingdom will continue to recognise the EU driving licence as valid.

Vehicle insurance for UK registered vehicles in the EU
A motor insurance Green Card will be required as evidence of motor insurance cover when driving abroad in the EU, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia and Switzerland. For driving in the rest of the World this will depend country by country and you should check the travel advice for each country you are travelling to. Some countries also require separate insurance for trailers which means you may also need a separate Green Card for your trailer. You should contact your vehicle insurance provider to obtain a motor insurance Green Card.

GB sticker on display
Put a GB sticker on the back of your vehicle if it's registered in the UK, even if your number plate already shows GB with a Euro symbol. You could get a fine if you do not have a GB sticker when you need one.

Healthcare when travelling in the EU
From 1 January 2021 you are still be able to use your EHIC (European Health Insurance Car) which will remain valid until its expiry date, however they will be phased out. The UK government says they will be replaced by a new UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC), but there are no further details yet on how to obtain it. It is therefore, very important that you have appropriate travel insurance with healthcare cover before you go abroad. Make sure it covers any pre-existing conditions that were previously covered by your EHIC. Healthcare abroad