Driving in the EU from 1st January 2021

Vehicle registration documents

If you're taking your vehicle to the EU for less than 12 months, you should carry your vehicle log book (V5C).

Passport rules for travel to Europe from 1st January 2021
Until 1st January 2021, you can continue to travel to Europe with your UK passport until it expires. New rules will apply for travel to Europe from 1st January 2021. You'll need to have at least 6 months left on an adult or child passport to travel to most countries in Europe (not including Ireland).

GB stickers and number plates
Display a Great Britain (GB) sticker on the rear of the vehicle and trailer, even if the vehicle has a number plate with the Euro symbol or a GB national identifier. You do not need to display a GB sticker to drive in Ireland.

Contributor: Nic Houslip
Posted: 201210

Nic Houslip's motor insurer reminded him that for driving in the EU from 1st January 2021 a Green Card will be required, but he also he wondered about IDPs (International Driving Permits). He found a GOV.UK webpage is helpful.

Driving licences and international driving permits
You will still need to carry your UK driving licence with you. You may also need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some EU and EEA countries from 1st January 2021. The type of IDP that you may need will depend on the countries you will drive through. Further detail on this will be available later in 2020. You will not need an IDP to drive when visiting Ireland if you have a UK driving licence. You can get an IDP over the counter at the Post Office.

Insurance for your vehicle, caravan or trailer
A 'Green Card' is proof that you have motor insurance cover when driving abroad. You should plan to carry one for the vehicle you're driving in the EU and EEA, including in Ireland, from 1st January 2021. You will need to carry multiple Green Cards if your vehicle is towing a trailer or caravan (and separate trailer insurance in some countries) and if you have two policies covering the duration of your trip, for example, if your policy renews during the journey. Contact your vehicle insurance provider 6 weeks before you travel to get green cards for your vehicle, caravan or trailer. More